Sunday, May 8, 2011

Essay Update and Frolicking Horses

Well, I finished my essay. I cranked it out pretty fast yesterday, and then I went back and fixed it today. Basically I talk about how I started riding, Captain, my job (which I will elaborate on later in this post), and horseback riding in general. It's about three pages long (it's only supposed to be two - hopefully they won't care!) and it took me most of the afternoon yesterday. I'm just glad it's finished.

I've never mentioned this before, but every Sunday I work at the same barn I ride at. I'm in a Work-to-Ride program, so in exchange for working I only have to pay half price for my lessons each month. I feed all the horses on the farm (all of them get hay and some get grain), give them water if needed, let two paddocks out to pastures, and muck out two stalls. I start at 10:30 and usually finish between 11:30 and noon. It can be pretty tiring, especially when it's hot out and all the bugs are swarming, but I'm happy to do it to get a discount on my lessons!

Today was the third week in a row where I've gotten to let two paddocks out on grass. I couldn't for part of the winter because one horse destroyed all the fencing (and I think another reason but I'm not sure what that is), so I've just recently gotten to start opening the gates again. It's one of the best feelings in the world to open the gate and immediately see horses trotting or cantering out to run in the field. One horse was rolling his neck and bucking - he was so happy to be able to run around! It made me smile to see them having so much fun. Those kind of rewards are the most satisfying ones of all. :)

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment