Friday, June 17, 2011

Advanced Camp

This summer I will be attending the Advanced Camp at my barn. It's only for a week (July 25 - 29 from 9am to 4pm), and it's not overnight. Here is the description:

"This camp is recommended for those at the Novice and Advanced levels. Riders must be able to canter confidently to attend this camp. You will be assigned a horse/pony for the week (or bring your own) and will be completely responsible for them for the week. Riding time will be geared toward jumping and games on horseback. We will have a visit from an industry professional or guest instructor. We will cover such topics as show prep, trail riding, lunging and ground work. We will also enjoy horse related activities, crafts and afternoon swimming. Riders must have their own helmets and boots If you are not currently a student at BHS, you must schedule an evaluation lesson prior to being accepted into this camp. "

I'm very excited because last year I attended the Introductory Camp, which was a good start for me but now I'm ready to get a little more serious. I can't wait to start thinking about jumping as well! I think being assigned one horse will help me get more comfortable with caring for them and getting used to a new horse. Yes, I said it - a new horse. My instructor told me at my last lesson that I probably wouldn't be able to ride Captain at camp. Long hours in the sun would be hard for him, and even doing an hour lesson each week is challenging. So it will be a huge change for me, as I have been riding Captain for a while (since winter) and I've grown quite attached to him. But I know the switch will be worth it, because a new, younger horse can offer much more energy than an old one. But don't get me wrong, I still love Captain! I hope I can continue to ride him during my lessons even if I won't during camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment