Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tack Shops and Riding Apparel

Hey everyone, since I normally just write about my riding lessons, I thought it's be a good idea to blog about something different this week as well. I'm going to write a little bit about the tack shops I go to and what I wear to ride. I hope this interests you a little!


Tack Shop #1: Rick's Heritage Saddlery

Ariat Terrain boots
Irideon riding tights
Since this place is so close to me, I like to go here whenever I need something for riding. I actually bought my first pair of riding boots here, which were called Ariat Terrain boots, and now I just use them to work on Sundays. I also got a really nice pair of breeches here for my birthday last year, which I use to ride in the summer because they are so light and airy.

Right now I usually wear a pair of pants my mom got for me at Target. I know that's a weird place to get riding clothes but they were in the girl's department and the tag says "breeches" on it. They even have a little knee patch on them! I like them for winter because they are thick and keep my legs from rubbing the saddle.



Tack Shop #2: Bit of Heaven Tack Shop

Paddock boots
Half chaps
I love this place mainly because it has a secondhand area where you can buy gently used riding clothes for a really cheap price. I almost always get gift cards to go here for my birthday and Christmas, so I love coming to shop here! When first I got relatively serious about riding, I came here to get my first pair of riding pants, boots, and half chaps. I got them all from the secondhand area too, so the boots and half chaps were nicely worn in.

I bought a pair of tan breeches and a pair of zip-up paddock boots Paddock boots are the basic riding shoe and I still where them - they are awesome! I also bought half chaps, which go over paddock boots and zip or velcro up tightly to give the appearance of tall boots. They also help a lot with gripping to the saddle when riding. As of now the pair I bought here still fit and work really nicely, so I plan to keep them for a while. I would eventually like a new pair of half chaps, not used but actually new, just to maybe get a better fit, but the ones I have are still good.

My riding gloves
I also bought my riding gloves here, which I wear at every lesson when it starts to get colder. I got ones with little beads on the fingers to help with grip, and I love wearing them. I've only had my current pair about a year, but I've already had to sew up a giant hole that was worn into the thumb and  there are several small holes in the other fingers. I'm actually hoping to go with my mom to the BOH Tack Shop this Saturday to get a new pair of these gloves so my hands don't freeze.


Other than these two places, I don't really go anywhere else to shop for riding apparel. I did buy the jacket that I ride in from my barn, which is a green windbreaker with the barn's name and my name on it. The elastic is tight so it's good for keeping the wind out, which is why it's good for riding in the winter in.

Well, I can't really think of what else I wear to ride, but I hope you enjoyed reading about all of this stuff. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment